Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Congratulations Dex!

My brother, Dex, received a $1000 scholarship from the NW Georgia Transportation club last week.  This scholarship usually goes to someone persueing a degree in the transportation industry and Dex has no intentions of this.  He is wanting to be a missionary or a teacher.  Here is his essay for the scholarship.

While only a freshman in college and still unsure about what exactly my future holds, I am positive about one thing- that my future does hold me affecting the lives of those people with little hope about their futures.

My dad, my grandfather and now my sister have earned their livings working in the field of transportation - trucking in particular, and have all enjoued great success there!  My Dad wants me to be in trucking, and working for the company that he started back in 2003 - he even named it after my sister and me.  As much as I would like to work for him, I believe, however, that I have a different calling in life.

When I was a kid, I was always the one who tried to look out for the other kids - the ones who seemed to have a hard life.  As I moved through to high school, I became very involved in my youth group and my church, and now that I am in my first full year, at a very good, yet very religious school, I find my interests once again turning to those who have less, or even yet, who have nothing!

We are very blessed her in America to be able to pretty much have anything , or any amount of money that we want.  I wish it were true all over the world.  Those children who have no hope are the people with whom I believe that I am supposed to be serving.

While I know that this is a transportation scholarship, and that I am probably supposed to tell you that I am hoping for a long and wonderful career in the business that has fed my family all these years, I must tell you that my priority at this point in my life is to have a positive impact on young people, whether it be in the ministry, in music or in the classroom- its what I am called to do!

Thank you for considering me for your most prestigious scholarship.

No comments:

Post a Comment